The feast of Encamisada
Coinciding with the day of Saint Anthony, next weekend 17-18 January, Falset, Priorat, celebrates the traditional feast called Encamisada. It's a feast linked to a legend which tells that in the early eighteenth century, the day of Saint Anthony, the men of the village staged a encamissada against the French, that is, a quick attack by night to surprise the enemy, dressing with white shirts to make the thick fog that covered the place and go unnoticed, thereby achieving victory
The Encamisada is a feast marked by the rural tradition. Formerly, all participants were farmers from the village who walk for the streets with their carts and horses. Nowadays, animals have virtually disappeared from the houses; for that families and groups of friends rent an animal and charior to walk for the streets of the village.
- 19: 30h - The Encamisada (chariots and horses) will meet in front of the Modernist cellar Falset-Marçà to begin the path to the church.
- 20: 00h - In the Church square, "Welcome" and continue the route for the streets of Falset.
- 8: 30h. Blessing of the animals and popular breakfast.
- 11: 00h. Meeting Encamisada (chariots and horses) in front of the winery of Falset-Marçà prepared to start the tour through the village streets.
- 11: 30h. Mass and dancing the popular Jota of Falset and blessing bagels of Saint Anthony. Then follows the Encamisada through the streets of Falset.